Michelle Lewis, The Blessings Butterfly
Welcome, 2024! There’s a powerful new energy coming into play this year, so let’s take an esoteric look at it. In today’s article, we’re going to focus on how Numerology and the Tarot come together with a powerful guiding message for the year ahead. In numerology, which is the study of numbers and their spiritual significance, each year holds its own unique energy vibration based on the digits that compose it.
In the case of the year 2024, the sum of its digits, 2 + 0 + 2 + 4, equals 8. This numerical composition designates 2024 as a year governed by the powerful and influential energy of the number 8. As a result, the overarching themes and experiences of this year are anticipated to align with the characteristics associated with the number 8, such as balance, material success, karmic influences, and the intricate interplay between the material and spiritual realms. Exploring the numerology of 2024 plus the insights of the tarot can provide us an intriguing lens through which we can better understand the potential energies and lessons that might shape the collective and individual experiences during this period.
8 in Numerology
In numerology, the number 8 is often considered a powerful and significant number with a really interesting energy. It represents a dynamic and influential force associated with balance, abundance, power, and achievement. Here are 8 key aspects of the significance of the number 8 in numerology:
- Balance and Harmony: The number 8 is often associated with balance and harmony. Its symmetrical shape reflects a sense of equilibrium, and individuals influenced by the energy of the number 8 may seek balance in their personal and professional lives.
- Material Success and Abundance: In numerology, 8 is often linked to material success, wealth, and abundance. Those with a strong connection to the number 8 may find themselves drawn to financial pursuits, business endeavors, and the practical aspects of life.
- Karmic Influences: The number 8 is sometimes associated with the concept of karma, suggesting that individuals with this number in their numerology charts may experience the effects of their past actions. It emphasizes the importance of responsibility and accountability.
- Power and Authority: The energy of the number 8 is often linked to power and authority. People influenced by the number 8 may possess leadership qualities and a natural ability to influence others. This power is ideally used for the greater good.
- Infinity Symbol: The number 8, when turned on its side, resembles the infinity symbol (∞). This connection to infinity suggests a cyclical nature, symbolizing the continuous flow of energy and the interconnection of all things.
- Spiritual Significance: In some spiritual traditions, the number 8 is considered a symbol of spiritual consciousness and enlightenment. It represents the balance between the material and spiritual worlds.
- Discipline and Organization: The energy of the number 8 is structured and disciplined. Those with a connection to this number may excel in organizing and managing projects, as well as maintaining order in various aspects of their lives.
- Challenges and Lessons: While the number 8 is associated with success, it can also bring challenges. Individuals with a strong influence of the number 8 may face tests related to their use of power, responsibility, and material pursuits. These challenges serve as opportunities for growth and self-discovery.
Be on the lookout and curious for how these themes play out this year in your life and in the world around you.
8 in the Tarot: Strength
*Note: In the wonderfully weird world of the Tarot, there are not only hundreds of different deck aesthetics, but there are also several different systems that a reader can learn and practice. While some prefer more obscure and historical decks such as the Marseilles system, or more trendy and modern twists, the vast majority of tarot practitioners work with either the Rider-Waite-Smith system or the Thoth system. For the purposes of this article, we’ll be drawing inspiration from the Rider-Waite-Smith (RWS) system. It’s the one I learned and first began playing with back when I was a curious child.
A typical RWS* tarot deck contains 78 cards, each with specific meanings. The first 22 cards are the Major Arcana, and they represent archetypal energies. In most decks, the 8th card is the Strength card. This is why we consider Strength to be the card of the year for 2024.
The Strength card is a captivating and empowering symbol in the Tarot deck. Representing inner strength, courage, and resilience, this card holds a profound message that transcends the realms of divination. As the eighth card in the Major Arcana, Strength embodies the idea that true power comes from within.
Symbolism, Key Elements, and Interpretations
Symbolism of the Strength Card: The traditional RWS depiction of the Strength card often features a woman gently taming a lion. This imagery symbolizes the harmonious union of raw, instinctual power (represented by the lion) and the calm, nurturing strength within the human spirit. The woman’s ability to control the lion without force suggests a mastery achieved through compassion and inner balance.
3 Key Elements of the Strength Card:
- The Woman and the Lion: The central figures in the Strength card are the Woman and the Lion. The woman represents the seeker (or the querent) while the lion embodies primal instincts and untamed energy. Together, they illustrate the concept of channeling and harmonizing raw power.
- The Infinity Symbol: Often, you’ll find the infinity symbol (a horizontal figure-eight) above the woman’s head. This symbolizes the infinite strength and endurance that comes from within, suggesting a timeless, boundless source of power that we have access to.
- The Floral Wreath: The woman often wears a floral wreath on her head, symbolizing the beauty and grace that result from cultivating inner strength. It suggests that true strength is not just about power but also about embodying positive qualities such as love, compassion, and patience.
Meanings and Interpretations:
- Inner Strength: At its core, the Strength card encourages individuals to recognize and tap into their inner reservoirs of strength. It emphasizes the idea that true power is not about dominating external forces but about mastering one’s own impulses and fears.
- Courage in the Face of Challenges: The Strength card is a reminder that courage is often found in gentleness and compassion. It suggests facing challenges with a calm and composed spirit, using love and understanding to overcome adversity.
- Patience and Endurance: This card encourages patience and endurance in the pursuit of goals. It signifies that lasting success often comes from a steady, measured approach rather than impulsive actions.
- Balancing Duality: The Strength card highlights the importance of finding personal balance, reconciling opposing forces, and integrating them harmoniously.
Exploring Strength in 2024
The Strength card in Tarot is a powerful and inspirational archetype that speaks to the human capacity for inner strength, resilience, and courage. Its symbolism and messages encourage us to tap into our own innate power, face our challenges with grace, and cultivate a balanced and compassionate approach to life.
3 Key Lessons from the Strength Card:
- Mastering Emotions: The Strength card teaches that true strength involves mastering one’s emotions rather than being controlled by them. It emphasizes the importance of maintaining a calm and compassionate demeanor, even in challenging situations.
- Harnessing Personal Power: The card encourages individuals to recognize their personal power and use it wisely. It suggests that strength is not about overpowering others but about using one’s influence responsibly.
- Embracing Vulnerability: Strength does not imply being invulnerable; instead, it encourages embracing our vulnerability as part of the human experience. True strength involves acknowledging and learning from moments of weakness.
There’s a LOT going on in the world around us, and this year is no different. Don’t let it bully or overwhelm you. As we consider what it means to embody Strength in the year ahead, let’s commit to explore- and also challenge- the many ways that strength can be experienced personally and collectively. Like the angelic woman on the Strength card, this be a call to balance our might and brawn with the transformative power of gentleness and love.