Michelle Lewis, The Blessings Butterfly
Hello Fall! Up here in the Northern Hemisphere we officially welcome in the Fall season with this week’s Autumnal Equinox, on Thursday 9/22. How’s the weather where you are? It’s still hot & sunny in SoCal, though I can finally feel that little hint of crispness in the morning air now.
Equinox translates from the Latin aequus nox to “equal night” and it is one of the two times each calendar year when there is an equal amount of day & night for both hemispheres… once in the Spring, and once in the Fall. This phenomenon occurs because the Earth’s axis is no longer tilted towards or away from the Sun, so that in that moment the Sun is positioned directly above the equator. (NERD ALERT!)
For many modern witches and neo-pagans, the fall or autumnal equinox coincides with the feast of Mabon. Whether or not you identify as witchy or Wiccan, you may be wondering what are some fun & festive ways to celebrate the Equinox and get the most out of it? Here are my Top 10:
10 Fun & Festive Ways to Celebrate the Fall Equinox
- Make a hot cuppa and watch the sun rise. On the 2 annual Equinox days, the Sun rises due East and sets due West- the only times throughout the year when it is this precise.
- Journal/Morning Pages Today is a perfect day to explore the concepts of equality, balance, harmony, and where they are showing up in your life.
- Gather with other practitioners & magickal folk as you are able In-person if possible, but any way that you are able to connect is good.
- Eat Some Apples Have an apple-tasting party, try making an apple-forward recipe, or get ridiculous with an apple-bobbing game (not advised for germaphobes!). Have an altar? Add an apple as an offering.
- Have a Harvest Feast Whether you can have friends/family get together or prefer a small, intimate gathering, plan for a big delicious potluck or progressive dinner. Eating solo? Treat yourself!
- Grapes & Wine Enjoy some delicious grapes in whatever forms you prefer (fresh fruits, jam/jelly, juiced or as wine).
- Watch the Sunset Take the party outside and watch the sunset. Raise your glass to the setting sun and toast the official end of the summer season.
- Soak your body in a large tub of warm water, surrounded by candlelight & flowers Think about the wonderful memories you’ve created so far
- Give your magickal tools/crystals a refreshing moonlight “bath” outside or on a windowsill (no water required!) Bless them with the intentions of balance & harmony
- Dance, Move Your Body, Celebrate! Put on your favorite tunes, beat on some drums, or go see a live performance. If you are a yoga practitioner, try some balance poses in your asana.
How will you celebrate this year? Let me know what your traditions are!