Michelle Lewis, The Blessings Butterfly
I love to cook, and I really love to eat! What I don’t love is an overly-complicated recipe. When I first learned how to roast root veggies, it was like a match made in Food Heaven: 1 pan + a handful of ingredients = Deliciousness. Roasted root vegetables are a delicious and nutritious dish that can be easily customized to your liking. The “kitchen witch” in me loves everything about this. Perfect for eating seasonally and transitioning into Autumn/Fall!
Here’s a basic recipe for roasted root veggies:
4 cups of assorted root vegetables (e.g., carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, turnips, onions)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme (or your favorite herbs)
Salt and pepper, to taste (or Adobo seasoning blend)
Optional toppings: grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh herbs (e.g., parsley or rosemary)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). This high temperature will help the vegetables roast and become crispy on the outside while staying tender on the inside.
- Prepare the Vegetables: Wash, peel (if desired), and rough chop the root vegetables into uniform-sized pieces, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes or chunks. Uniform sizes ensure even cooking.
- Season: In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped root vegetables, olive oil, minced garlic, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together until the vegetables are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Spread on Baking Sheet: Spread the seasoned vegetables out in a single layer on a large baking sheet. You can line the sheet with parchment paper for easier cleanup if you prefer.
- Roast: Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast the vegetables for 25-35 minutes, or until they are tender and golden brown. Be sure to stir or shake the pan occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Optional Toppings: If desired, when the roasted root vegetables are done, you can sprinkle them with grated Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs for extra flavor. Return them to the oven for a minute or two to melt the cheese.
- Serve: Transfer the roasted root vegetables to a serving dish, and enjoy as a side dish with your favorite main course. Enjoy!
Feel free to customize this recipe by adding other seasonings or spices that you enjoy. Roasted root vegetables are a versatile and hearty addition to any meal, and they make for a perfect fall or winter dish.