Adulting can be so hard sometimes, AMIRITE? Don’t worry Lovelies, you can do this! Whether you are trying to get yourself out of bed and back to work after a long holiday weekend or perhaps an even longer vacation break, there are a few simple things that you can do right now to make your reintegration to Responsible Adult Life a breeze.
Here are my Top 5 Tips for Easing Back in After a Holiday:
- Re-Hydrate! Top of the list for getting your body back on point. Spending fun times with friends and family almost always revolves around food & drinks. You probably ate a lot more than you normally do and probably ate and/or drank things that you don’t normally indulge in. Good! Life’s short, it’s OK to splurge and have fun! Now it’s time to give your body some extra-love by flushing out all of the extra junk from your system. Drink LOTS of fresh clean water and give yourself a time-out from soda & alcohol for at least a week.
- Rest! Whatever your age, your body needs sleep to recharge and regenerate fresh new cells. It needs even more after you’ve been partying it up, and more still if you’ve been hopping in and out of different time zones. For your first 2-3 days back after a holiday, give your body the opportunity to readjust by going to bed early, taking 10-15 minute naps during the day, and saying a polite but firm “No thank you” to social engagements.
- Move Your Body (Gently)! Your body will greatly benefit from getting back into a regular exercise routine sooner rather than later. It’s important here to ease into it instead of going hard your first 2-3 days back to avoid injury and setting yourself back for weeks or more. Keep your exercises incredibly simple and short for your first 3 days back with 30 minutes or less of walking, yoga, and weightlifting each day.
- Eat Clean! Don’t make the mistake of trying to starve yourself or otherwise deprive yourself of good food just because you may have gained a few pounds during your holiday. That kind of punishment is not even remotely healthy for your body, mind, or spirit. Honey, you earned those pounds (or more likely, ounces) and the good memories with loved ones are totally worth it! Treat yourself to fresh fruits, veggies, and clean protein, but take a break from fast foods and sugar-packed desserts & baked goods for at least a week.
- Share Your Stories! You had a great time, right? Share your fun stories, recommendations and favorite moments with your family, friends, coworkers, colleagues, or boss if appropriate and let them experience life through your eyes. Savor the great memories you created, and record them in a journal, photo album, or video montage to look back on.
If you would like a free 10 minute gentle workout video from my private membership class The Cocoon, leave me your email here: